Days Remaining to Apply for the Board of Directors
We are seeking a diverse, all-inclusive board to include geographic location, professional level, and firm size. Diversity represents the fabric of our communities and a wide range of the members that we serve.
We thank you for considering Board of Director involvement and for the personal time and energy that you will be putting into this important aspect of building a stronger Board and thus a stronger real estate industry.
The application period for the Board of Directors is June 30, 2023 – July 31, 2023
Directors – 5
Commercial Director – 1
What you need to know about applying for the Board of Directors
What is the application period?
The application period is June 30, 2023 to July 31, 2023. Late submissions will not be accepted.
What are the qualifications to apply for a Board of Directors seat?
- Must be a REALTOR® for at least two years.
- Must be a REALTOR® member in good standing.
- Should serve at least one year on a PWAR Small Group.
- Strongly encouraged to be a contributor to RPAC.
- Attend training on the enforcement of the Code of Ethics/Professional Standards each year.
- Must be actively engaged in the real estate business and hold an active real estate license in the state of Virginia.
- Must be/become a DEI Champion
- Interview with the Nominating Committee
- Must complete an online application during the application period
- Disclose any finding of violation against their license
- Disclose any instances in which the candidate has been found in violation of the REALTOR® Code of Ethics
- Must sign a Leadership Agreement indicating that if elected, the candidate will faithfully fulfill all duties, including meeting attendance and participation, and abide by Association policies and procedures.
What information do I need to provide when applying for a Board of Directors seat?
- Professionals or educational designations earned
- REALTOR®/professional group involvement and accomplishments
- Disclosures regarding violations against your license, and/or professional standards violations.
- Letter(s) of recommendation/endorsements (Optional)
- Current photo
Can I update or change my application after I've submitted it?
No. Once you submit your application, it cannot be changed or have information added.
Can I campaign for a seat on the Board of Directors?
Yes. We encourage candidates to campaign for their positions. Click here for the full Campaigning Policy.
If I need to stop while filing out the application, can I save it and return to it at a later time?
Yes. Be sure to click on the “Save” button and enter your email address and hit “Send”. You will receive a link to return to your application to continue where you left off. PWAR staff does not receive the link; it is only assigned to you. Should you have any problems with using the link to return to your saved application, please contact email@example.com
How should I format letters of recommendation?
PWAR Board candidates may include letters of recommendation with their application. Letters should be addressed to the PWAR Nominating Committee and should be in a PDF format when attached to the application.
What is the election process for a seat on the Board of Directors?
- A candidate must confirm their eligibility to run.
- Complete and submit the online application in its entirety, including letters of recommendation (optional) and a current photo.
- Applications must be submitted via the online process only.
- Candidate will attend an in-person interview with the Nominating Committee on either August 10, 2023, or August 11, 2023. Interviews will be held between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. each day and will not exceed 20 minutes.
- Candidate information will be released to membership on August 11, 2023.
- Election will open at 8 a.m. on September 15, 2023
- Election will close at 5 p.m. on October 10, 2023
- Candidates are expected to attend the Annual Meeting on October 12, 2023, where results will be announced.
General information about the Board of Directors
What does the Board of Directors do?
The REALTOR® Association of Prince William’s Board of Directors is the elected body that represents the membership by
establishing policies, overseeing the operating and capital budgets, approving plans and recommendations, and setting general guidelines for members and staff. The Board holds the ultimate legal responsibility for the operations and actions of the Association.
What is the commitment level for a Board member?
Directors will devote at least approximately 10+ hours per month on Board business. This would include preparing for and
attending regular board and small group meetings, attending special meetings, and meetings with community partners. It would also include attending educational and special events. The Board meets bi-monthly on the third Wednesday of the month.
What are the term lengths and limits for the Board of Directors ?
The term length for Directors is either 1-year or 2-years and is dictated by the election results. Directors can serve up to six
consecutive years on the Board of Director
How often does the Board of Directors meet?
The Board meets bi-monthly on the third Wednesday of the month. Occasionally, there are special meetings and events that Board members are expected to attend.
How should I prepare for the Board of Directors meetings?
Meeting notifications and materials are sent seven (7) days prior to all meetings. Due to an effort to be GREEN, the Board of Directors is asked to bring their printed meeting materials.
What is the parliamentary procedure of the PWAR?
The latest edition of Robert’s Rules or Oder Newly Revised (12th Edition) is the authority governing all PWAR meetings.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org