Free to attend- Registration Required
Ignorance of the law is not a defense! Learn about the law with a free training class from the Virginia Fair Housing Office. This training teaches you about legal rights and responsibilities under the Fair Housing Law. The course, conducted by a board-approved education provider, gives you the basic foundation of Fair Housing Law.
Who should take the class? Landlords, property managers, leasing consultants, owners of manufactured housing, the general public . . . anyone who sells, leases, owns, or manages the residential property.
Topics of Discussion:
• What is Implicit Bias? Examples of Implicit Bias.
• The History & Laws that Impacted the Need for a Fair Housing Law
• The Use of “Testing” Even Before the Fair Housing Act was a Reality
• Explanation of Each Protected Class: Race; Color; Familial Status; Sex; National Origin; Religion; Elderliness; Sexual Orientation; Military Status (7-1-2021); Gender Identity; and Source of Funds
• The Violence Against Women Act is now Enforced by the Fair Housing Act & Fair Housing Law
• Fair Housing for Persons with Disabilities (Emphasis on Reasonable Accommodations)
• Group Homes
• The Exemptions in the Law
• Appraisers and the Discriminating Acts Under the Fair Housing Law
• Criminal Records Policy and the Fair Housing Law
• Harassment and the Fair Housing Law
• Restrictive Covenants and Retaliation under the Fair Housing Law
• Other (Housing Related) Regulated Transactions: (Advertising, Accessibility (Construction), Mortgage Banking & Homeowners Insurance
• Accessibility (Construction) 7 Requirements under Fair Housing Act
• Fair Housing Tips for the Housing Providers
• Fair Housing Updates (shared throughout the class)
• Examples of Actual Fair Housing Cases
• Q&A Sessions
Fair Housing Professional Certification or Real Estate CE/PL credit available (through DPOR)
Mahalia “Mally” Dryden-Mason is a Fair Housing Training Specialist at the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR).
| ZOOM, United States|
|} June 21, 2023|
| Wednesday, 10:00 am to 01:00 am|
|n Professional Development|
| PWAR's Professional Development Small Group|