Fair housing is more than a list of dos and don’ts, rights and penalties, and mandatory continuing education. As stewards of the right to own, use and transfer private property, fair housing protects our livelihood and business as REALTORS® and depends on a free, open market that embraces equal opportunity. Fair Housing Makes US Stronger.
50th Anniversary of the Fair Housing Act
In 2018 the National Association of REALTORS® will join with our partners and allies in a year-long commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Fair Housing Act. The commemoration will focus on three key elements of Fair Housing:
- Acknowledging the organization’s past role in the fight for fair housing;
- Understanding how we as a nation are constantly improving our commitment to fair housing; and
- Embracing REALTORS®’ role at the forefront of advancing fair housing, leading efforts to address community fair housing issues.
Fair Housing Declaration
I agree to:
- Provide equal professional service without regard to the race, color, religion, gender (sex), disability (handicap), familial status, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity of any prospective client, customer, or of the residents of any community.
- Keep informed about fair housing law and practices, improving my clients’ and customers’ opportunities and my business.
- Develop advertising that indicates that everyone is welcome and no one is excluded;, expanding my client’s and customer’s opportunities to see, buy, or lease property.
- Inform my clients and customers about their rights and responsibilities under the fair housing laws by providing brochures and other information.
- Document my efforts to provide professional service, which will assist me in becoming a more responsive and successful REALTOR®.
- Refuse to tolerate non-compliance.
- Learn about those who are different from me, and celebrate those differences.
- Take a positive approach to fair housing practices and aspire to follow the spirit as well as the letter of the law.
- Develop and implement fair housing practices for my firm to carry out the spirit of this declaration.
Print a copy of the REALTOR® Fair Housing Declaration and post it in your office and/or association.