PWAR advocates for public policies that promote and protect the availability of housing opportunities for all qualified consumers in every segment of the market. Additionally, PWAR fully supports the Commonwealth of Virginia Fair Housing Code. “It shall be an unlawful discriminatory housing practice for any person to: Discriminate against any person in the terms, conditions, or privileges of sale or rental of a dwelling, or in the provision of services or facilities in the connection therewith to any person because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, elderliness, source of funds, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or status as a veteran.”
The purpose of PWAR’s Legislative Small Group is to develop advocacy tools, strategies, and association policies to promote and protect the interests of the membership and the real estate industry as a whole. The small group will determine if proposed public policies are of benefit or detriment to the ability of PWAR members to conduct their business successfully and ethically, and to promote the preservation of the right to own, use, and transfer real property. The committee will research, draft, and recommend positions and appropriate responses to the Board of Directors.
In the process of fulfilling this mission, the Small Group adheres to the following guidelines:
- Debate issues, adopt policies, advocate on behalf or against local, state, and federal legislation, recommend candidate funding through the REALTORS® Professional Advocacy Committee (RPAC) and perform all other Small Group functions based solely on what constitutes a decision that reflects the best interests of the association.
- Avoid interjecting partisan politics into committee debate and limit concern to real estate related matters only.
- Educate and motivate the membership regarding advocacy and positions.
- Offer suggestions to the Board of Directors regarding candidates for local, state, and federal elected offices who seek PWAR’s endorsement for election or reelection and RPAC funds.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with local, state, and federal elected officials and like-minded civic, community and business groups.
An Investment of $35 Is All It Takes To Protect Your Business! Contribute Here